While Biden's student loan cancelation may help some who fell for predatory lending, the net effect for America will be negative. A large majority of the debt canceled will be for the top 60 percent of earners. Only 13.5 percent of Americans hold student loan debt. Much of the other 86.5 percent of Americans, who either fully paid off their student loans, or never took out student loans, will have an average tax burden increase of $2,000. They will not be happy.